Daniel has a broad practice in common law, personal injury, commercial, property and administrative law matters. He is currently counsel assisting in the inquest into the death in custody of Mr Ferman. He is regularly briefed by Victoria Legal Aid as duty barrister in VCAT residential tenancy matters and in Mental Health Tribunal hearings across Victoria.
Daniel was previously the Class Actions Coordinator at the Supreme Court of Victoria. He worked with the Hon. Jack Forrest QC in the 2009 Black Saturday bushfire proceedings and other judges in a number of class actions.
He began his legal career as Associate to the Hon. Tony Pagone QC, who was then head of the Commercial Court at the Supreme Court. He completed his legal internship at criminal defence firm Galbally Rolfe.
Daniel read with Coroner Simon McGregor and his senior mentor is Justice Andrew Keogh.
Examples of recent cases:
- Inquest into the death of Mr Ferman (2019): acting as Counsel Assisting in the Coroner’s Court inquest into a death in custody (ongoing).
- Sherman & Ors v McArthur  VCC 2156: County Court of Victoria criminal compensation application under s 85B of the Sentencing Act 1991 (for the applicant).
- DPP v Gild (2017); Gild v The Queen  VSCA 317: County Court of Victoria jury trial of theft charges (led by Paul Kounnas for the defence) and subsequent appeal on conviction (led by Deborah Mandie).
- Changzhou Laoson Group Imp. & Exp. Co Ltd v Rodd & Gunn Australia Ltd (2016): County Court of Victoria proceeding involving a claim for debt in relation to invoices for the manufacture of articles of clothing (for the plaintiff).
- Angeleska v Walshes World Agencies Australia Pty Ltd  VCAT 31 (4 January 2016): a claim for misleading and deceptive conduct and negligence made purportedly against Swiss International Airlines (for the first respondent).
- Brewer v Avouris (2016): Supreme Court of Victoria appeal hearing on judicial registrar’s order to strike out proceedings – procedural fairness issues (led by Simon McGregor for the applicant).
- Victorian President and founding committee member – Asian Australian Lawyers Association.
- Member – Victorian Bar Council
- Australian Advocacy Institute Advocacy Instructor – he has taught advocacy at the Legal Institute in Papau New Guinea and the Victorian Bar Readers Course.
- Secretary General – International Commission of Jurists Victoria (Past)
- Board Member – Flemington-Kensington CLC (Past)
Presentations and publications:
- ‘Victims of Crime Assistance and Crime Prevention’ presented at Ho Chi Minh University of Law on 2 October 2018.
- ‘Recent TAC and WorkCover Statutory Benefit Decisions’ presented at the Legalwise Personal Injury Conference: Statutory Benefits and Common Law Claims, Melbourne on 14 September 2017.
- ‘The Advent of E-Litigation: The Paperless Trial’ an article published in the Australian Lawyers Alliance, Precedent Journal, March/April 2017 Edition.
- ‘Death Penalty Developments in the USA and Australia’ presented at the Amendment of Vietnam’s Criminal Procedure Codes and Overseas Experiences Conference, Ho Chi Minh University of Law on 25 September 2015.
- ‘Contract Drafting Tips Arising out of the Unanimous High Court Decision of Brookfield Multiplex Ltd v Owners Corporation Strata Plan 61288 & Anor’ presented at the Legalwise 4th Annual Contracts Conference on 30 March 2015.
- ‘Class Actions in Victoria’, presented with Hon. Jack Forrest QC at the Victoria Commercial Teachers Association Conference on 25 November 2014.
The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Lennon’s List Barristers nor The Victorian Bar Inc have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.