Daniel is an established commercial and common law junior with experience in:
- Class actions
- Commercial including contractual disputes, misleading or deceptive conduct, property, sale of land
- Coronial inquests and inquiries
- Crime compensation applications (s 85B of the Sentencing Act)
- Personal injury including common law and statutory benefits trials
- VCAT civil claims, retail leases, residential tenancies and guardianship applications
- Freezing orders
- Suppression orders
Daniel is a co-author (with John K Arthur and David L Bailey) of Practical Guidance Dispute Resolution in the Supreme Court and County Court on civil procedure and best practice in litigation published by LexisNexis, 2021.
He is a Nationally Accredited Mediator.
Daniel was previously the Class Actions Coordinator at the Supreme Court of Victoria where he worked with Justice Jack Forrest in the 2009 Black Saturday bushfire cases and other judges in class actions proceedings.
He completed his legal internship at Galbally Rolfe and began his legal career as Associate to the Hon. Tony Pagone QC, then head of the Commercial Court at the Supreme Court of Victoria (current President of the International Association of Judges).
Daniel read with Simon McGregor (now Coroner) and his senior mentor is Andrew Keogh SC (now Supreme Court Judge).
A selection of Daniel’s cases
- Newlan v Cycling Victoria Inc. & Ors (2021) S ECI 2019 05055: Supreme Court motorcycle accident negligence and damages trial – settled (led by Timothy P Tobin SC).
- Firth v AAPC Properties Pty Ltd (2021) CI-19-0518: County Court WorkCover negligence and damages trial – part-heard (led by Timothy P Tobin SC).
- Agricultural farm contractual dispute (2021) (led by William Lye OAM QC).
- Cai v Wimcam Pty Ltd (Civil Claims)  VCAT 476 (24 April 2020): misleading or deceptive conduct claim regarding a lawn mowing franchise.
- Brunning & Anor v Bianco & Anor CI-20-01131: County Court promissory estoppel claim.
- C. Jankulovski Pty Ltd v MK-1 Pty Ltd & Ors S ECI 2017 00288: Supreme Court oppressive conduct claim (led by Cam Truong QC).
- Angeleska v Walshes World Agencies Australia Pty Ltd  VCAT 31 (4 January 2016): misleading or deceptive conduct and negligence claim made purportedly against Swiss International Airlines.
Inquests and inquiries
- NSW bushfires coronial inquiry into deaths, property damage or destruction arising from the 2019-20 fires (ongoing): acting for some of the impacted property owners in the Northern Region fires.
- Inquest of Dylan Charlton-Smith (2021) COR 2018 6064 (ongoing): acting as Counsel Assisting Coroner Katherine Lorenz concerning a death in prison.
- Inquest of Taniela Ahokava (2020) COR 2016 4157: acted as Amicus Curiae concerning a death from a police shooting.
- Inquest of Hizir Ferman  COR 2016 3497: acted as Counsel Assisting Coroner Rosemary Carlin (now County Court Judge) concerning a death in prison.
- Inquest of Sarah Cafferkey  VicCorC 55: acted for the family of the deceased concerning a murder by the offender shortly after his release on parole (led by Fiona McLeod AO SC with Amy Brennan and Penny Harris).
Criminal & Quasi-criminal
- Paulino v Paulino  VSC 642: for the respondent in a crime compensation application.
- DPP v Gild (2017) CR 14-00883; Gild v The Queen  VSCA 317: County Court jury trial of theft charges (led by Paul Kounnas), and subsequent appeal on conviction to the Court of Appeal (led by Deborah Mandie).
- Australian Advocacy Institute accredited advocacy coach: Daniel teaches advocacy in the Victorian Bar Readers’ Course, the Legal Training Institute of Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands Appellate Advocacy Course.
- Immediate past Victorian President and founding committee member – Asian Australian Lawyers Association Inc.
- Member of the Victorian Bar Council.
- Secretary General – International Commission of Jurists Victoria (past).
- Board Member – Flemington-Kensington Community Legal Centre (past).
Publications and presentations
- Co-author (with John K Arthur and David L Bailey) of Practical Guidance Dispute Resolution in the Supreme Court and County Court on civil procedure and best practice in litigation published by LexisNexis, 2021.
- Interview with Law in Colour, published 23 September 2020.
- ‘Victims of Crime Assistance and Crime Prevention’ presented in Vietnam at Ho Chi Minh University of Law on 2 October 2018.
- ‘The Advent of E-Litigation: The Paperless Trial’ an article published in the Australian Lawyers Alliance, Precedent Journal, March/April 2017 Edition.
LinkedIn profile: www.linkedin.com/in/danieldominicnguyen
The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Lennon’s List Barristers nor The Victorian Bar Inc have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.