Daniel is an established commercial and common law junior with experience in the following:
- Class actions
- Common law serious injury applications and trials
- Compensation applications (s 85B of the Sentencing Act)
- Contractual disputes
- Coronial inquests
- Freezing orders
- Mental Health Tribunal reviews
- Property law: including adverse possession, caveats and restrictive covenants
- Public liability claims
- Suppression orders
- VCAT civil claims, retail leases, residential tenancies and guardianship applications
Daniel was previously the Class Actions Coordinator at the Supreme Court of Victoria where he worked with the Hon. Jack Forrest QC in the 2009 Black Saturday bushfire cases and other judges in class actions proceedings.
Daniel completed his legal internship at Galbally Rolfe and began his legal career as Associate to the Hon. Tony Pagone QC, who was then head of the Commercial Court at the Supreme Court of Victoria.
He read with Simon McGregor (now Coroner) and his senior mentor is Andrew Keogh SC (now Supreme Court Judge).
A selection of Daniel’s cases:
- Cai v Wimcam Pty Ltd (Civil Claims)  VCAT 476 (24 April 2020): succesful defence of a misleading or deceptive conduct claim in the context of a lawnmowing franchise dispute.
- Inquest into the death of Hizir Ferman  COR 2016 3497: acted as Counsel Assisting concerning Mr Ferman’s death in prison.
- DPP v Gild (2017) CR 14-00883; Gild v The Queen  VSCA 317: acted for the defence in a County Court of Victoria jury trial of theft charges (led by Paul Kounnas) and subsequent appeal to the Court of Appeal on conviction (led by Deborah Mandie).
- C. JANKULOVSKI Pty Ltd v MK-1 Pty Ltd & Ors S ECI 2017 00288: acted for the defendant in a Supreme Court of Victoria oppressive conduct claim (led by Cam Truong (now QC)).
- Angeleska v Walshes World Agencies Australia Pty Ltd  VCAT 31 (4 January 2016): successful defence of misleading or deceptive conduct and negligence claims made purportedly against Swiss International Airlines.
- Brewer v Avouris SCI 2016 01728: acted for the applicant in a Supreme Court of Victoria appeal on the procedural fairness of an order to strike out a civil claim (led by Simon McGregor for the applicant).
- Inquest into the death of Sarah Cafferkey  VicCorC 55: acted for the family concerning Ms Cafferkey’s murder by perpetrator shortly after his release on parole – adequacy of assessment for suitability of parole (led by Fiona McLeod SC with Amy Brennan and Penny Harris).
- Victorian President and founding committee member – Asian Australian Lawyers Association Inc.
- Member – Victorian Bar Council.
- Advocacy Instructor – Australian Advocacy Institute: Daniel teaches advocacy in the Victorian Bar Readers’ Course and at the Legal Institute in Papua New Guinea.
- Secretary General – International Commission of Jurists Victoria (past).
- Board Member – Flemington-Kensington Community Legal Centre (past).
- Sessional Law Tutor – Torts, Monash University (past).
Presentations and publications:
- ‘Victims of Crime Assistance and Crime Prevention’ presented at Ho Chi Minh University of Law on 2 October 2018.
- ‘Recent TAC and WorkCover Statutory Benefit Decisions’ presented at the Legalwise Personal Injury Conference: Statutory Benefits and Common Law Claims, Melbourne on 14 September 2017.
- ‘The Advent of E-Litigation: The Paperless Trial’ an article published in the Australian Lawyers Alliance, Precedent Journal, March/April 2017 Edition.
The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Lennon’s List Barristers nor The Victorian Bar Inc have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.